Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Soccerball

Last Wednesday Kristi and I attended a football game in San Francisco. This was no ordinary football game however, we were going to see my boyhood team Everton, from England, play Juventus of Italy. It was a pre-season friendly and part of an international tournament that included the likes of Real Madrid and AC Milan. We went with our friends Dan and Maury, who are converted Evertonians.

After leaving Davis around 230, we got into the city at 4 and headed for Pedro's Cantina where there was to be a fundraiser for Everton in the Community (a charity that helps people in the Liverpool area). We bought tickets for the raffle but did not win any of the swag. There was maybe 40-50 Evertonians there, some had come from as near as San Jose, some from as far as England and Australia. After a while some singing was started by a fan in the corner, which I joined in with, and this led me to meet him and discover that he is from Sacramento! James and I have plans to meet up soon and watch some Everton games. After some libations we headed to the game.

Here we are at Pedro's, with our friend Brianne, who lives in San Francisco and met up with us at the bar.




The venue was Giant's Stadium, or AT&T Park, home of the San Francisco Giants baseball team. The venue was really great, with good views, and none of the bone chilling wind we were expecting (the stadium is right on the bay). In the first half Everton were the better team and were unlucky with a goal disallowed and a header off the post. Juventus came back into the game in the second half, but Everton took the lead through Kevin Mirallas. After Juventus leveled through Asamoah the game went to penalties. Despite missing the first kick, Everton went on to win, which was very exciting.



Here I am watching the penalty kicks.






Overall the experience was really positive. I spoke to several Evertonians that I hope to stay in contact with, the game was compelling, and everyone had a great time.

Currently typing in: Subaru dealership lounge

Currently listening to: Frightened Rabbit

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.