In the last 3-4 months I've really started to get into running. I've tried at various times over the last 10 years to get back to doing something I loved when I was in high school. Back then I was a 400m runner and a 4x100 relay team member. I'd run on my lunch breaks and after school, and at the weekends if there was a competition.
I don't know exactly what it is that has made me stick with it this time around, when I've given up more than once in the last decade. The fact that Davis is flat helps, and it rarely rains here. However, I have to try to get out early, as the temperature can get up to 75-80F by 10am. Something that has been of immense help to me is the Couch to 5k app for my droid phone. It features a structured, proven running schedule to get beginners running 5k after 9 weeks. There are promtps telling me when to run, when to walk, and when to warm up/cool down. The GPS tracks and maps the distances I've covered, and there's even a feature that tells me how many calories I've burned. Best of all, it runs in the background, allowing me to play music over the top; the music volume dips for prompts from the running app.
I knew when I started running that I needed to set myself a realistic, but immediate goal for which to train. So I signed up for the Oktobrewfest 5k in Davis, which took place October 13th last month. The race was really great and I finished in 33mins. Unfortunately I ran in brand new shoes and got blisters half way round and had to hobble at times. The medal for finishers doubled as a bottle opener! When I run the Davis Turkey Trot 5k in a fortnight I'll be looking to go under 30 mins. Here's me and my friend Tom pre Oktobrewfest run... (It looks sparse behind us, but we got there early and in reality there was probably 600-700 runners, at least)
I'm not sure exactly where I want to go with regards to my running. I suppose the natural progression is to get to marathon races. I'd like to do one, so I can say I did it, but I don't see that as being my 'thing'. I've got a couple 10ks I'd like to do in the new year, and perhaps a half marathon in San Francisco in April. I'll just see how things go.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.