Monday, August 6, 2012

Stumpy Meadows

This past weekend Kristi and I celebrated our 9 year wedding anniversary (not to be confused with marriage anniversary!) by taking a camping trip to Stumpy Meadows in the Eldorado National Forest.

We left Davis at about noon on Saturday with an inordinate amount of stuff for a one night stay. On the way we stopped in the town of Placerville, a historic town that is famous for hanging more nefarious gold rush prospectors than anywhere else in the west. The stump of the original hanging tree is now below this bar....



Despite its dark history the town is actually really tourist friendly, with more antiques shops than I've ever seen on one street. We had lunch at a restaurant called 'Bricks' and it was delicious! After a short walk around the main street we drove the last hour to the campground in the foothills of the Sierras.



Our particular site was just a couple of minutes away from the reservoir so we made sure to pay a visit.



We had plans to make an elaborate dinner so we got that going next. Our menu was pasta, basil, cheese, meatballs for me, tomatoes for Kristi, and a balsamic reduction as a sauce. Quite the gourmet camp side meal!



Dessert was, of course, s'mores round the campfire. The camp ground was nicely located in some woods, but our site was right next to another site with 5 folk in their late teens early 20s. They retired to their tents relatively early, but I had to ask the to calm down as they were talking and giggling loudly. Even the boys were giggling, which made me want to rescind their man cards.

Once I did fall asleep though I was able to sleep right through the night. Kristi and I have a 2 person tent which is pretty light and really easy to set up, but I think we'd both like a little more room, so I think a 3 person tent might be in our future. Because my sleeping mat has to be extra long, it's also extra wide. This means Kristi is trying to sleep in about a foot of space.



For breakfast we had an equally grand menu;. fried potatoes, fried onions , Heinz baked beans, eggs for Kristi, sausage for me, and a cup of tea. Definitely the two best meals either of us has ever had camping.





After breakfast we packed up our site and took a nice drive around some of the nearby valleys, it was a gorgeous day. We both craved Jamba Juice so we stopped in North Auburn to satisfy our thirst, and from there it was only 5 miles to Hidden Falls county park.

The park offered a 4 mile loop to a small waterfall, and provided us with a great opportunity to stretch our legs.


All in all it was a really great weekend in nature with my lovely wife.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.