Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Books



For the first time in a long while, I found myself wanting to read a fiction book last night. I think I've read one fiction book in the last 5 years, Stephen King's 'Under the Dome'. I was really invested in that story, but found the ending to be seriously underwhelming. Perhaps the fact that my investment in that story was not payed off has increased my skepticism of fiction.

The books I normally read have titles like 'Joker One: A Marine Troop's Story of Courage, Leadership, and Brotherhood', and 'No Angel: My Harrowing Journey to the Inner Circle of the Hells Angels'. I generally like  narratives about men who put themselves in danger for a greater good. Stories of survival are also a favorites, 'Alive' by Piers Paul Read about the Argentinian rugby team whose plane crashed over the Andes springs to mind.

So when I got to the library this afternoon I literally had no idea what to get. I looked initially for 'The Stand' by Stephen King, since I'd enjoyed 95% of my previous fiction book from him. It was checked out, so I found a book by Dean Koontz that sounded interesting, 'Velocity'. As I was poised to leave, I saw a shelf of 'classic' books. I had a sudden pang of guilt about having never read any books by Dickens, Hugo, Hemingway, and many others. I picked up 'A Tale of Two Cities' and thought for a moment that I would sacrifice my trashy Koontz thriller for it. I was nervous though that I wouldn't get into Dickens and find myself wishing I had something lighter instead.

Ultimately I decided to get both 'Velocity' and '...Cities', this way I can alternate as and when required. I'd like to work up to 'Les Miserables', but that's a monster of a book. I'll start with what I've got and see where they take me next. My passion will always be for non-fiction, though. True stories are always just far more engrossing to me.

Currently Listening to: Shed Seven

Currently Drinking: Bear Republic's Racer 5 IPA

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.